NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN, NOR WILL A PURCHASE IMPROVE ONE'S CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. SPONSOR: The sponsors of the 2010 NASA/SpaceWeather.com CONTEST
(the "Contest") are SpaceWeather.com and The National
Aeronautics and Space Administration ("NASA") (together,
2. BRIEF OVERVIEW OF CONTEST: The Contestant ("Contestant"
or "You") will have the opportunity to compete by imaging
the orbiting NanoSail-D satellite from earth. The contest is open
to anyone who can image the NanoSail-D satellite. NanoSail-D team
partners contracted to obtain professional images are excluded
from the contest. The contest is open to all types of photos including
but not limited to: telescopic images of the sail itself and simple
wide-field camera-shots of "solar sail flares." The
basic rule is this: if NanoSail-D is in the field of view, the
photo is eligible for judging.
The contest begins at the point that NanoSail-D begins orbiting
the earth. The current launch date for the mission is November
19th, 2010. The contest will run until the satellite deorbits
or reenters the earth's atmosphere and disintegrates. The expected
on orbit lifetime of the NanoSail-D satellite is expected to be
70 to 120 days after deployment of the sail. Note: It is expected
that Images of the satellite will improve as the satellite's orbit
decreases. In the event that the satellite remains on orbit past
the expected 120 days, the contest will end 180 days from the
mission launch date. This will be collectively known as the "Contest
Period". All deadlines and time periods found in these Official
Rules will be based on United States' Eastern Time or the correlative
time based on Greenwich Mean Time found at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock.
Sponsor's designated computer is the official time keeping device
for all aspects of the Promotion.
The Contestant will compete for one (1) Grand Prize, one (1) First Prize and one (1) Second Prize. The prizes are currently valued as such: Grand Prize - $500, First Prize - $300, Second Prize - $100. The Contest is intended to demonstrate the Contestant's interest in obtaining unique photographs of the deployed NanoSail-D sail as the mission progresses from launch to re-entry.
Images must be submitted to the nanosail.org website which will collectively display the images. Sponsor has the sole authority to remove any such images that it deems as inappropriate, obscene or those that are not of the NanoSail-D satellite as imaged from the earth. Sponsor may choose to contact the contestant to obtain additional information about the image acquisition in order to determine the validity of the image. The requested information may include but not be limited to: the location the image was obtained, the direction of the imaging equipment in azimuth and elevation, the time and date of the image acquisition.
Sponsor will appoint judges that will select the winners in accordance with the procedures described below. Winning entries will be notified by email or appropriate reasonable means. In the event that the Sponsor cannot contact the winners, the next best image as judged by the judging panel will be deemed the winner for the appropriate prize category.
The odds of winning a Prize depend upon the number of eligible entries received, the skill and capabilities of the Contestants.
4. ENTRY: "Entry" shall mean and refer to submission of the image obtained and posted by the sponsor on the nanosail.org website. To enter the Contest, You must first image the NanoSail-D satellite from the earth by any legal means. Second, submit by uploading the Entry to the nanosail.org website along with pertinent parameters such as date and time of imaging, location, type of equipment used, azimuth and elevation used for image acquisition.
5. CONTEST MATERIALS: "Materials" include the image Entry, pertinent parameters such as date and time of imaging, location, type of equipment used, azimuth and elevation used for image acquisition. Only the entry submitted by You in connection with the Contest will be available and posted to the nanosail.org website. In the event You are a winner, your name will also be posted in conjunction with Your winning entry. By entering the Contest, You have agreed to grant the sponsoring parties a nonexclusive license in the submitted photographs to use, disclose, reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute copies to the public, and to perform publicly and display publicly, in any manner and for any purpose, and to have or permit others to do so
6. LIMITATIONS: By submitting the Materials in the Contest, You represent and warrant to Sponsor that the Materials and everything depicted therein:  Comply with these Rules;  Are original to You and do not originate from another source and do not infringe upon or otherwise violate any right of any person, firm or entity;  Do not contain material which is (or promotes activities which are) sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, violent (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, national origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, harassing, defamatory, libelous, infringing or otherwise objectionable or unlawful as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
You further represent and warrant to Sponsor that:  You have all rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the Materials in accordance with these Rules;  No person or entity other than You has any right, title or interest in and to any part of the Materials; and  You are not subject to any agreement or arrangement that would interfere with Your entering this Contest and granting all the rights granted hereunder or that would conflict with any other documentation required hereunder.
Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify and remove any Material, Entry, or Contestant that Sponsor deems to be in violation of these Rules at any time. There are no limits to the number of Entries per person. Only three prizes will be awarded as set forth in section 2. A Contestant can only win one (1) prize and one (1) winner per prize level. Entries by any method other than those set forth above in Section 4 are void. Any use of automated or programmed methods of affecting Entry is prohibited. Duplicate, invalid, incomplete or illegible Entries are void.
Neither the Sponsor, nor any of its officers, directors, employees, agents or representatives (individually and collectively, "Releasees") are responsible for Material or Entries from Contestants residing, or physically located, inside or outside the 50 states or D.C.; or Material or Entries that are altered, delayed, destroyed, forged, fraudulent, illegible, inaccurate, incomplete, irregular in any way, late, lost, misrouted, multiple, mutilated, non-delivered, stolen, tampered with, unauthorized, unintelligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server or other connections; miscommunications; failed phone, computer hardware or software or telephone transmissions; technical failures; unauthorized human intervention; traffic congestion; garbled or jumbled transmissions; undeliverable emails resulting from any form of active or passive email filtering; insufficient space in Contestant's email account to receive email; or other errors of any kind, whether due to electronic, human, mechanical, printing, production or technical errors or other causes; even if caused by the negligence of any of the Releasees. Each of such potential Entries will be disqualified. Sponsor is not obligated to communicate with any Contestant during the Contest Time period. Void where prohibited or restricted by law and subject to all applicable federal, state, local and municipal laws and regulations.
7. PRIZES: One (1) grand prize ("Grand Prize") will be awarded for the best overall Entry, and one (1) First prize will be awarded for the next best entry, and one (1) Second prize will be awarded for the next best entry as determined by the judging panel. The prizes are as follows: (1) Grand Prize, one (1) First Prize and one (1) Second Prize. The prizes are currently valued as such: Grand Prize - $500, First Prize - $300, Second Prize - $100.
8. JUDGING PROCEDURE: All Entries will be judged as follows:
All submitted Entries will be reviewed by Sponsor for compliance with the Rules as stated herein. Once approved, accepted Entries will be judged by Sponsor, based on the following judging criteria: (1) Image Clarity - 40%, (2) Image Details - 30%, (3) Image Quality - 20%, (4) Difficulty in Acquiring Imaging - 10%, (collectively "Judging Criteria"). In the event of a tie, the following "Tie-Breaking Procedure" will be implemented: the tying Entry with the highest combined score received for "Clarity and Details" will be given preference; in the event of a further tie, the tying Entry with the highest score received for "Quality" will be given preference; in the event of a continued tie, the tying Entries will be re-judged based on the Judging Criteria. All decisions of the judges are final and binding in all respects.
9. WINNERS: The potential contest winners will be notified via email on or about September 31, 2011. Once prizes have been awarded, the winning images along with the winner's names will be displayed in prominence on the nanosail.org website for a period of time. At the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate winner may result from any of the following:  Potential winner's failure to respond to notification within fourteen (14) calendar days after its emailing;  The return of any notification as undeliverable;  A potential winning Entry is discovered to be invalid for any reason whatsoever or the person who submitted the potential winning Entry fails to comply with these Official Rules. In the event of Prize forfeiture, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award or not award the forfeited Prize to an alternate winner. All taxes are solely the responsibility of the winner, who will receive an IRS Form 1099 reflecting the value of the prize.
10. CONDITIONS: By submitting an Entry and/or accepting any prize You may win, You agree, represent and warrant that:  You will be bound by the Rules and Sponsor's decisions, which shall be final in all respects;  Your Entry and name will be posted to the website for public consumption;  You release and hold harmless the Releasees from any and all liability for claims, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including without limitation, death and bodily injury, resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the Entry or from the awarding, delivery, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the Prize; participation in this Contest or downloading of, computer Contest information;  The Releasees do not make any representation, warranty or guarantee, express or implied, relating to the Contest or the Prize;  Winner's acceptance of the Prize constitutes the grant to Sponsor and assigns of an unconditional right to use winner's name and Prize information for any publicity, advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law;  In the event viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, Acts of God, acts or regulations of any governmental or supra-national authority, war, national emergency, accident, fire, riot, strikes, lock-outs, industrial disputes, acts of terrorism or other matters beyond the Sponsor's reasonable control, corrupt, prevent or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Contest, so that it cannot be conducted as originally planned, Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to modify the Rules or to cancel, modify, terminate or suspend the Contest; and in such event, to select a winner by such method as Sponsor in its sole discretion shall consider equitable;  The Releasees are not responsible for typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of the Contest, including but not limited to: errors in the advertising, Rules, selection and announcement of the winner;  Any portion of the Prize not accepted or used by the winner will be forfeited;  The Releasees are not responsible for any inability of the winner to accept or use the Prize (or any portion thereof) for any reason;  The Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it suspects: to be doing any of the following: (a) Tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (b) Violating these Official Rules; or (c) Acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or for any other good cause as determined solely by the Sponsor; and  Sponsor has the right to modify Prize award procedures at its sole discretion.
11. OFFICIAL RULES AND LIST OF WINNERS: Official Rules are available on the nanosail.org website. List of Winners will be available on the nanosail.org website after the contest has completed and prizes awarded.